I was pouring over the internet today trying to figure out which way to go next, RE or OB? Clomid or Femera? Which docs have the best prices (like I was shopping for a car? ugh) Cripe I even looked into some werido free clinical studies...lol. Anyway, I had to take a break cause my head was spinning and I headed over to one of my favorite SIF sites and found these little words of wisdom:
Q:Is secondary infertility as tough on couples as primary?
A:The element of disbelief is just as common either way. While I feel they're equally brutal, there's an added dimension of shame among secondary patients for wanting another child so desperately—they've been blessed with one child already, and some might say that should be enough. People with primary, in particular, have a difficult time feeling any compassion for those with secondary. So secondary-infertility patients don't have as many outlets for talking about their feelings. There are those who will experience it as a loss, and for some it can feel like a death.
Q:What's the best way to respond to comments like "You should feel lucky to have a child already" or "Why not just adopt?"
A:People often inadvertently put guilt trips on couples going through secondary infertility, although their intent is probably to offer solace: "You have a wonderful child. What are you worrying about?" How you deal with these comments will depend on your personality. Some withdraw, which I don't think is effective. Others laugh it off and say, "We have such a great kid that we want another one." But in response, choose your words carefully. If you're in a casual conversation, it may not be useful to call someone on comments like this. On the other hand, it's important to give family and close friends feedback. As for the adoption question, one of the best responses is "We're considering a lot of options." It doesn't let people know they've been rude and also doesn't reveal where you are in your decision-making. A lot of people don't understand what the process of adoption is like, and how huge the emotional component is for most couples.
Unfortunatly not everyone we know has been supportive of our decisions to proceed with fertility treatment so I found these little snippits to be helpful.


Exactly, knowing what to say when someone makes a comment about "already having a child" is awesome!
ReplyDeleteWondering if you are doing another round of Clomid? 100mg?